On February 5, 2013, Louisiana Secretary of Transportation, Sherri H. LeBas announced that the Huey P. Long Bridge in New Orleans will be fully opened to traffic on June 16, 2013. A celebration worthy of the importance and rich history of this legendary bridge will be held. A 5K Bridge Run/Walk will kick-off the day followed by a ribbon-cutting ceremony and other entertainment.
The opening of the bridge means:
- A Safer Crossing for Drivers
- Better Emergency Evacuation and Response
- New Businesses on Both Banks of the River
- Fewer Traffic Back-ups
- An Ability to Get Where You Need To Go Quicker
- 8:00 am 5K Run/Walk
- 10:30 am Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony
- 10:30 am to 1 pm Public Allowed on the Bridge
- 1 pm Bridge Cleared
The Bridge will be fully opened to traffic in the late afternoon on June 16. View a listing of awards received by the Huey P. Bridge widening program.
Register today for the 5K run/walk at www.hueyprun.com! The first 1,500 registrants receive a headsweats sport trucker hat.